gif of the Rotary wheel logo

 


1914-1915


President: Elmer Hale
Secretary: R. L. McPheron

The main accomplishment during this Rotary year was through the assistance of one of our members, Mr. F. A. Willard, then Manager of the McAlester Gas Company, who took the matter up with the Highway Department of the United States federal government and secured a highway surveyor who came to McAlseter and supervised the building of one mile of "government demonstration road", just south of McAlester. This was the first improved road in southeastern Oklahoma. The McAlester Rotary Club raised, from its own membership, the money to pay the expense of doing this work, which was the beginning of the Better Roads movement for this part of the country.


Originally compiled from personal interviews, club records and all available means, by Lloyd Puckett (Club President, 1950-1951)

Home | Projects | Officers | History
Club Service | Vocational Service | Community Service | International Service

 

e-mail: Webmaster